Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Just wanted to let everyone know how Jon is doing in Kindergarten. I went to his school's open house Monday night. I got to meet his teacher, Mrs. Smith and the inclusion teacher, Ms. Race. Jon showed me where some of his other classes are as well. He loves PE and music.



He is doing wonderfully with academics. Jon is right where he should be. He loves to listen to books on tape, and follows them word for word. (As long as it's just him, and not the whole class.) There is a computer game that he plays that helps with letters, and letter sounds. Apparently, he does this game better than many first & second graders!

Jon is making new friends, and is having tons of fun! He will give feedback on stories read in class, and participates in all aspects of the class! They say his comprehension in amazing. This isn't really new news, but it's great to hear from a kindergarten teacher!



Having said that, he won't sit still! (Big shock, I know!) He has his own desk, and won't stay in it. The teachers have already figured out that he learns best while wandering the room, but also know that he has to learn to sit. They try to give him some freedom to roam, and will be working on it throughout the year.

We constantly remind him to behave at school, listen to the teachers, and stay at his desk. However, we all know that he's not exactly thinking about what Mommy told him that morning when he runs around the room! He's not going to stop, & think "oh yeah, I promised Mommy to behave today. I'd better go sit down." Yeah right! He does, by the way, know what it means to behave. In case anyone starts wondering. I ask him everyday what it means. He will list it out for me: listen to the teacher, no bad words, stay at my desk, no running around the classroom, do what the teacher says. The list was slightly different during summer, and I never told him about changing the wording. He figured out the "new" meaning on his own.

Jon's interests have also started expanding. He still loves cars, of course. Now, however, he loves airplanes, trains, computer games, and anything outside. He keeps telling us that he wants a train set. Luckily, I still have my old Brio set (I was told that I should have it tested for lead, it being so old.) Plus, I had found a cool set right after his birthday that was on clearance at Toy R' Us. It's a train that goes around a zoo, complete with animals. And, it looks like it will connect to Brio!

Jon being Jon, he starts saying he wants a train set every time he sees anything that reminds him. I keep telling him that he needs to tell Santa, and that if he doesn't run around the classroom too much, Santa might get him one! (When did I become one of THOSE moms?!?) Sometimes, I will come into the office, and find Jon telling his Lowrider Santa all the things he wants for Christmas! I can just see him wanting to go from mall to mall, making sure he constantly reminds Santa of his wishes!

Anyway, I didn't mean for this little update to go on forever! I tend to do that, when it comes to Jon. (Just ask my co-workers!) I'm liable to bore the snot out everyone, so I had better go eat my lunch. I hope everyone has a wonderful rest of the week! I love you guys!

No comments: