Jon & I caucused last night. It was an experience I will always remember. Hopefully, so will Jon.
By now, everyone knows about the "Texas Two Step." About 25% of the Texas delegates comes from the caucus. As close as the race is, I felt that it was important to make sure that I make every vote count.
Jon & I got to the voting location at 7pm. (I had already voted earlier.) I came somewhat prepared to keep Jon busy, bringing his Leapster & some cars. We were instructed to wait in the cafeteria until all voting was done. It was expected to be busy, but not this busy. That cafeteria was packed! The volunteers were rattled, because they never thought that many would show up! I can only imagine what it must have been like at other location around town, since our area isn't as populated as it farther in town.
So here we were, crammed in there, waiting for the last person to vote. Unfortunately, the line outside went around the building! It wasn't until after 9pm that the last person voted.
I have to admit, there were times during this that I wanted to go home, and get Jon to bed. He was being so good, but was getting bored. Jon wouldn't let me go anywhere. He wanted to "help pick a president!" I had tried to explain that we were picking who would run for president, but that was too complicated. (I have figured out that it's too complicated for many adults!)
When the last voter had left, we were instructed to gather as a precinct to pick a chair and a secretary. 2 ladies volunteered to chair our precinct, so we had to vote on it. There were so many other precincts that we all crammed into an alcove in order to hear. After we picked from 2 ladies we had never met before, we left the alcove to line up. I managed to get the 2 of us towards the front of the mass of bodies. After our new chair got the official packet from the judge, we were able to start writing. We had to write our name, address, phone #, email address, our candidate choice, then answer a few little questions. (35 & under?, disabled?, M or F, Latin?)
I had promised Jon that I would let him help me out. So, when I was ready to write Obama's name, I called Jon over. I told Jon to hold the pen, and I held Jon's hand. That way, Jon thought that he really was helping to pick a president! He was so excited about all this, that he talked about it all the way home! (That was all of 2 1/2 blocks!) That was one tired boy when we got home after 10pm! That didn't stop him from eating, though!
All in all, I'm glad we did it. Will I caucus again? If I'm still in Houston next time there's a caucus, I'll do a heck of a lot more than scream! Other than that, no I won't. Unless the situation is as drastic as this one. And, considering that Obama is currently leading in the caucus, I'd say that my vote was well worth it!
Let's all keep hoping for the best! We love you all!
Wednesday, March 05, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Yay, Josie! How super that you introduced Jon to the democratic process in this impressive way. The crowd of impassioned voters speaks volumes for the momentum for change. Crowded cafeteria was our scene too. And our John made the pilgrimage home from Olympia to be present in our precinct. Not the first caucus we've shared with our son, but a strong shared feeling of purpose raises hopes. One feels the source of our power is coming together, uniting. Our kids need hope especially when the picture looks so grim. All caucuses are important.
I too want to congratulate and thank you for participating and introducing the next generation of voters to the process.
And now a plug.
I remember as a kid going down to watch the votes being counted. We then went home and waited, not knowing who would be our next leader. It was part of being in a democracy. As the voter and the vote got separated voter participation dropped.
Accept my congratulations,too! What a wonderful way to introduce Jon to the democratic process!
By the way, you have been tagged. Go to Granny Smith at http://phyllisophy.blogspot.com
Post a Comment